Dear friends and coalition partners,
The summer break is coming to an end and preparations for the start of the European Citizens‘ Initiative (ECI) against TTIP and CETA are intensifying. We are still waiting for the decision of the European Commission on our registration. They have to decide by 15th of September, so we will know the result very shortly. If the Commission gives their approval, we can start collecting signatures straight away.
A lot is going on in the meantime and we’d like to provide you with the most important information on the campaign preparations:
- Growth of the alliance: We are now supported by 202 organisations from 20 different EU member states! For a full list of members, please check this pdf: http://stop-ttip.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ECI-Partner-List_0901.pdf. And we want to grow further. Do you have contacts in civil society organisations that oppose TTIP and CETA, especially in Italy, Sweden, Czech Republic, Malta, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania (all countries where we still have no supporters)? If so, please write to them and invite them to join our alliance or give us their contact details and we will follow up.
- We propose to launch the campaign officially on September 24 (the day before the EU-Canada summit where the CETA ratification process should be initialled). For instance, there’ll be a media event in Berlin in front of the European Commission’s representation office. Maude Barlow, the chair of the Council of Canadians, will participate in this event. It would be great if similar events could take place in many other member states to create a powerful European start for the ECI. Please let us know whether you’re able to organize a kick-off-event and/or a press conference in your country. If you need any help please contact us as soon as possible.
- Website: So far, the website is only available in English and we do recognise the ad hoc design could be improved. Please be patient with us. We’ll relaunch the website soon, initially in English, French and German. If you’d like to help us translate the text into any other EU language, please get in touch with us.
- Preparing the online collection of signatures: On Friday, we received the very good news that our online collection system has been certified by the responsible authority. This means that we can start online signature collection from the very beginning of our campaign on stop-ttip.org. The certification is valid for all member states.
- Preparing the ‘offline’ collection of signatures: We are currently producing materials that can be used to collect signatures on paper. Further information on how you can receive signature lists and flyers will be provided in the next update.
- Growing the team: We now have a campaign office in Berlin that helps to coordinate our activities. It currently consists of Stephanie Roth (European Campaign Manager, email@example.com), Michael Efler (Representative of the Citizens’ Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org) and Cornelia Reetz (Campaign Manager Germany,email@example.com).
We will strive to update you frequently in the weeks to come. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask us.
Stephanie, Michael and Cornelia
-- European Citizens´ Initiative Stop TTIP Representative of the Citizens´ Committee